Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Let’s talk about ideology


Here is my generalization of the difference between progressives and conservatives: While the conservative says, “You need to do what I believe is right, period.” the progressive says, “I’m going to do what I believe is right, you do what you believe is right, and we’ll both respect the others’ decision.” In other words, conservatives believe that one standard should be used for everyone, regardless of their needs, beliefs, or circumstances. Progressives, on the other hand, believe that everyone should have the right to live their lives as they wish. While these are, again, generalizations, I believe the record (and rhetoric) prove my theory. Let’s take perhaps the most divisive issue between the two, abortion. Conservatives believe, to varying degrees, that all women should be prevented from having abortions. Progressives believe that if you’re against abortion, fine, then don’t have one, but at the same time, don't infringe on my right to do so. The Utah legislature is another shining example. Its archaic alcohol laws, and its attempts to ban gay marriage, gay clubs in high schools, and violent video games are all decisions that limit personal choice. The fact is, time marches on and attitudes change accordingly based on scientific discovery, technological advances, and what I call the maturation of acceptance. Progressives realize this and attempt to grow and modify social mores to incorporate these transformations. Conservatives, on the other hand, would prefer to drag society back to a time that, quite simply, no longer exists. And to that time of blatant and systemic racism, sexism, homophobia, and xenophobia - I say good riddance.

2 comments:

Rev. Donald Spitz said...

"don't believe in abortion , don't have one" is that like, don't believe in shooting babykilling abortionists don't shoot one?
SAY THIS PRAYER: Dear Jesus, I am a sinner and am headed to eternal hell because of my sins. I believe you died on the cross to take away my sins and to take me to heaven. Jesus, I ask you now to come into my heart and take away my sins and give me eternal life.

The Libertine said...

Libertine here. Thanks for proving my point Rev! Looks like you've spent your life trying to force your beliefs on other people. It makes me feel good knowing that your brand of ignorance and hate are dying out and being replaced by acceptance and love. Wait, acceptance and love, isn't that what Jesus taught? Weird